Tag Archives: painting

I AM … Sophia

i am sophia 2

I AM … Sophia

This painting of Sophia is very close to my heart. I have always run away from sketching or painting faces. I would find every single excuse under the sun not to paint a face. But I guess Sophia was determined to come alive.

When I started this painting, I have to admit not a single feature was appealing or remotely even close to normal. Sophia pushed me to draw faces, to find my style, I started using charcoal to sketch faces, but keeping true to my abstract style. And so I sketched face after face.  I threw 70% into the bin, but the rest 30% came alive. I had a mentor who really showed me the ropes, and he was as determined as Sophia that I get over this insane fear of faces.

I left Sophia’s painting alone for over 4 weeks. When I came back to her, I was a lot more confident in my space. And within 6 hours of working, Sophia was alive.

Across all scriptures, Sophia represents wisdom. To me, Sophia represents triumph over fear.  The step towards leaving behind self imposed creativity shackles and moving towards true inner creative freedom. Now that I look back, I wonder why the hell was I even scared? I guess it’s now time to do a realistic portrait of a person 🙂

Available on my etsy store for purchase.

Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/lkewlani

Instagram: @lkewlani


Art Blog: Dandelions

Dandelions low res

Some people get addicted to people, to drama, to situations, to drugs, to certain types of foods. When we try to break that addiction, we realize how difficult it is. Some give up and go back to living the same old life. Some dig deep down and find courage within. We understand consciously how hard it will be to let go, and we accept the ‘temporary’ hardship, knowing that on the other side, something new awaits us.

Letting go is for the courageous. Sticking to the path takes even more courage. Accepting that you have an addiction and that you want to change it, evolve from it … that in itself is a huge step. It’s very similar to the life of a dandelion.

Although dandelions sometimes are classified as weeds, their lives symbolize rebirth of something new. The wind blows, and their spores disperse and land far away, somewhere new, where they prosper and grow. Having the courage to allow the winds of change to blow through your life as you let go of your addiction, you land up somewhere completely new, different, unexplored. And yet it is here that you bloom, prosper and grow.

I created this artwork using oil paints on paper.

The original artwork & high resolution digital downloads of the artwork are available on Etsy.

Etsy Digital Download: https://www.etsy.com/listing/229719065/dandelions-digital-download-abstract

Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/lkewlani

Instagram: @lkewlani

Sacred Activation Meditation Link: http://sacredactivations.com/product/addiction-redirection/

Art Blog: I AM … Kareem

i am kareem

One of my original signature series of abstract portraits that I am working on. This is an abstract painting of an old colleague of mine called Kareem. I always remembered Kareem to be head strong, someone who invested a lot of time into his physique, and yet someone who would happily engage with you in a battle of wits. I never knew Kareem modeled, so when I was looking for a man to use to create a painting in my abstract portrait series, I saw Kareem’s photograph on instagram.

As I kept working on this painting, there came a point where I was struggling to give the body justice, simply because Kareem possessed an incredible physique. The muscle definition took a while for me to do, but soon it started to come together. I was so immersed into painting Kareem’s physique that it made me take a step back and think … who exactly is the Kareem within? It made me realize how we women can also fall into the trap and start objectifying men. At times we are so taken by the raw physicality that we forget what’s below the hard muscular exterior of a man.

The vulnerability that he rarely shows. The way he fiercely protects people that matter to him.  His patience. Gentleness. Kindness. How he retreats into his own world when he isn’t comfortable. The chivalry. His adventurous spirit. His appreciation for creativity. The way he holds his little kid’s hand. The way he helps a friend in need. Patiently listening. The deep romance that he is capable of.

There is a lot to a man that we women sometimes don’t see. 🙂 It’s time to explore the mystery within.

If you would like to commission an abstract portrait of yourself or a loved one, please do message me. These portraits are created by how my soul sees your soul, and it is expressed through the movement of my hands on canvas.

‘I AM…Kareem’ is available for purchase on my etsy store or through direct buys


Instagram: @lkewlani